When the margin of the gum tissue around the tooth pulls back or wears away, it leads to gum recession, and the tooth becomes more visible.
Bacteria find a suitable breeding ground in the gaps in your teeth as a result of it being more exposed than usual. This can lead to tooth loss if the bacteria activity is not put in check as your supporting tissue and bone structure can be impaired.
Despite the fact that gum recession is a very general dental problem, most of the individuals experiencing it doesn’t appear to notice it timely because the methodology is very moderate and it happens gradually.
The first sign that you have this gum issue is the sensitivity of teeth. Moreover, if a tooth increases its size, it may also indicate the occurrence of receding gums.
Other signs that indicate that you have receding gums:
– Tooth sensitivity
– Larger size of a tooth than previously
Receding gums can be a result of some kind of gum disease, but it can also be caused by:
1. Poor oral hygiene – Plaque is a major problem when you don’t observe good oral hygiene as it can lead to the formation of a hard cyst on your teeth known as calculus which can lead promote receding gums.
2. Rough and aggressive brushing– Brushing your teeth in a rough and aggressive manner will damage your teeth enamel and greatly increase your risk of developing receding gums.
3. Genes – It could be hereditary.
4. Tongue and lip piercing – Is also strangely enough, known to cause receding gums.
5. Imbalance of hormone – Particularly in women this can be a major cause of receding gums.
6. Smoking habit – If in this day and age with all the health problems associated with this filthy habit, if you still smoke then you will develop plaque quickly and subsequently receding gums.
7. Frequent grinding and clenching of your teeth – You need to stop this habit as it can cause receding gums.
8. Periodontal diseases – This is a bacterial infection that damages the supporting bones of your teeth and cause receding gums.
Treatment of receding gums
In its early stage, this issue may be treated with tooth scaling or root planing. Namely, your dentist will eliminate the calculus and will clean the area under the gum line.
Yet, if not treated on time, the only solution may be a surgery, in order to regenerate the lost tooth bone and tissue, for depth reduction, soft tissue graft regeneration, etc.
Now if you are scared of surgery and your receding gum problem is not at a critical stage you can try a natural homemade remedy that will help revert this problem.
You will however need to see your dentist to know if surgery if not inevitable.
Can gums grow back?
You can try a few natural homemade ways to treat this issue, and to avoid surgery. Yet, especially in the case of a severe gum infection, you must contact your dentist before you start using some alternative treatment.
The following natural remedies with simple herbs and spices, in combination with a proper oral hygiene and methods like oil pulling, will help you grow back your receding gums:
This tea is rich in antioxidants such as catechins that help combat free radicals which are responsible for periodontal disease. The catechins will also reinforce the link between the gum and teeth.
Instruction on how to use green tea:
– Just drink at least a cup of green tea in the morning preferably before breakfast.
The anti-inflammatory properties of aloe vera will help ease swelling and also combt the recession of your gums.
Instruction on how to use aloe vera:
– Use aloe vera gel to brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with it.
– You can first floss, then brush your teeth, after which you can add the aloe vera gel then you brush once more for at least 3 minutes and rinse your mouth thoroughly when you are done.
– You can also use the aloe vera gel as a mouth wash, just mix some gel with water and gargle every morning after you have brushed your teeth.
Use sesame oil to get rid of plaque build-up and the formation of calculus.
– You need to warm it, yet, not to be hot.
– Use it to rinse the mouth after brushing the teeth.
– Rinse and gargle for about 3 minutes, in order to get used to the taste.
– Gradually increase the time until you can do it for 15-20 minutes.
Using coconut oil pulling
Coconut oil will prevent tooth decay by healing your tooth cavities and it will help fight oral infection that can lead to receding gums.
– Use coconut oil as a mouth wash once you are through brushing.
– Just like sesame oil you can gargle for about 3 minutes then increase your gargle time to 15-20 minutes eventually.
– You will give your mouth protection from infection and also combat receding gum with regular use.
Eucalyptus essential oil
This essential oil has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that will fight oral infection and reduce the swelling of your gums. Make sure that you dilute it with water as it is quite strong.
– Dilute 1 or 2 drops of eucalyptus essential oil in 1 or 2 tablespoons of clean water.
– Soak your finger or tooth brush in the mixture.
– Gently massage your gums with the oil.
Myrrh tree resin
Myrrh tree resin is very effective in repairing the damage cause by infection and it will grow back your receded gums.
– Crush the myrrh resins into fine powder.
– Get a paste by adding clean water to the powdered myrrh resin.
– Apply this paste to your gums with your fingers or with a tooth brush and gently massage.
This oil is frequently used in the case of a toothache. Clove oil fights all kinds of germs, bacteria and disease in the mouth. it also alleviated swelling and has miraculous anti-inflammatory properties. You should a clove after meals in order to alleviate the inflammation. This will also help you get rid of unpleasant breath.
– Just gently massage your gums with about 1 to 2 drops of clove oil.
– Do this once or thrice daily.
A note of caution however, if you are on blood clotting prescription please sees your doctor before using clove oil.
Lemon oil should not be used daily because of its acidity as it can damage your teeth enamel. This oil has great antibacterial properties that will help fight oral infection and improve your breath as well.
DIY homemade lemon oil:
– Olive oil – ? to ? cup
– Lemon juice (freshly squeezed from organic lemon) – ? to 1 lemon
– Place the olive oil in a glass jar.
– You then add you lemon juice.
– Seal the jar and shake very well.
– You will shake this jar very well daily for about three to four weeks.
– After this time your lemon oil will be ready for use.
– Put some of the lemon oil on your fingers and gently massage your gums with it for a few minutes.
– You can try this treatment twice a week.
Vital information on how to prevent receding gums
If possible, always try to prevent these issues and diseases before you suffer from them. Here are some extremely important things in order to prevent gum diseases, and infections in the mouth.
Good oral hygiene
Observe good oral hygiene and watch as your gums and teeth will be strong and healthy.
Observe the following;
– Do not brush your gums, but just along the gum line is ideal.
– Preferably use a brush with soft bristles and a small head.
– Brush in circular motions or with gentle strokes.
– Brushing after each meal is ideal but where this cannot be done use a mouth wash or brush before you go to bed at night.
– Avoid aggressive brushing.
– Try dental flossing.
DIY homemade mouthwash
The regular use of mouthwash will help you prevent germs and bacteria. Wash the mouth twice a day, at the start and at the end of your day. You can prepare your own homemade mouthwash using essential oils.
– Use essential oils such as peppermint, sage, clove or tea tree oil.
– Use one or two drops of the highlighted essential oil.
– Mix the essential oil with about ¼ to ½ cups of water.
– Gargle and rinse your mouth with this mouth wash at least twice daily.
Drink lots of water
Furthermore, as it is vital for the health of your entire body, water is also essential for your oral health as well. It helps in the case of receding gums, as it will eliminate toxins, germs and bacteria from the mouth. Also, you can use water to clean your teeth after meals, by swishing it around the mouth, and spitting or swallowing it.
A healthy diet
A diet rich in nutrients is essential for your overall health, as it will boost immunity. Yet, junk food will promote the growth of bacteria in the mouth, which may lead to many infections.
You need to reduce carbonated drinks and sugar, as they speed up bacteria development. Moreover, avoid caffeine, processed foods, alcohol, white flour foods, as they have a harmful effect on your oral health.
On the other hand, you should eat vegetables and fruits which are full of vitamin C as it is vital for the gums, may prevent inflammations and will promote gum regeneration. Therefore, eat broccoli, pineapples, asparagus, oranges, strawberries etc.
Always contact your doctor hen you intend to use some supplements.
Unhealthy food leads to unhealthy gums and numerous dental health issues. Therefore, their prevention includes numerous foods rich n vitamins and other nutrients. Moreover, the following supplements will provide amazing benefits n the case of receding gums:
– Vitamin C: strengthens the immune system and has powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
– Ginkgo biloba: enhances the blood circulation, which is essential for healthy gums.
– Calcium: it is crucial for your dental and bone health.
– Zinc: boosts the immune system and fights various kinds of bacteria that lead to oral diseases and infections.
– Coenzyme Q10: helps to grow back receding gums and renews your cells.